As recent events demonstrate all too clearly, the Iraqi government is rubbish. Though from what I read The West had a heavy hand in installing Nouri al-Maliki so I’m by no means complaining that their troubles are all home-grown; more despairing at our ability to prop up corrupt incompetents who don’t like us (vide Afghanistan).
I found this in the National Post:
In a reflection of the bitter divide, thousands of heavily armed Shiite militiamen – eager to take on the Sunni insurgents – march through Iraqi cities in military-style parades on streets where many of them battled U.S. forces a half decade ago.
You see the problem, of course: while ISIS (or ISIL) are out there kicking the government’s ass, govt-side folk are poncing around parading in cities where its nice and safe. There’s a motto here: competition is good; its what keeps people honest. Governments are by nature monopolies; keeping them honest is hard. But if the internal structures are too weak to keep them honest (as they are in Iraq) and external forces prop them up for geopolitical reasons (why hello!) then eventually you risk a structure so badly hollowed out that a tiny but very determined competitor can go for the throat. Or at least, for a major limb. Darwin wins again (see-also my review of Atlas Shrugged).
So, what would you do then?
All the above is entirely negative: I’m railing at the stupidity of the world. I’m allowed to do that sometimes. But its natural to ask, OK wise guy, what’s your solution? I don’t have a good answer to that, but I do have several bad ones:
1. Partition the country. Iraq is an artificial country we created for stupid reasons ages ago. Admit it was a mistake. Give the Kurds their bit, and tell Turkey to Get Stuffed when it whinges. Better still, suggest to them that they let their bit full of Kurds split off and join the ex-Iraqi bit.
2. Be more honest. We’ve f*ck*d the place over so thoroughly and lied about it so much that no-one could possibly trust us (us is the West; we Brits did a pretty good job in the early ays, now the US has taken over as idiot-in-chief for the region).
* The Iraq disaster, continued
* Foaming at the mouth with me
* Turkey Gives Up On Unified Iraq – speculative headline backed off in the text, but interesting
* Why we stuck with Maliki — and lost Iraq – WAPO