Although the “news” is that the last thread of ice has broken, it’s an enormous berg so it isn’t about to float off in a hurry1, and indeed the last tiny neck was probably only a formality.
What does it all mean? Pfft, we may never know. Everyone else will tell, you anyway. Back to the Arctic I think.
1. A pic shows some apparent visible spacing of the berg to the rest of the iceshelf, so perhaps it is moving. We’ll see.
* Brief Communication: Newly developing rift in Larsen C Ice Shelf presents significant risk to stability; D. Jansen et al.
* Sane response to press release – me, 2007.
* Antarctic iceberg crack develops fork from Aunty
* Bonus Quotation of the Day… from Cafe Hayek: “Politics Without Romance”.
The climate has always changed. What do you conclude? – Stephan
* The Larsen C Iceberg Is Already Cracking Up – July 19th.