No, I’m not going to AGU this year. But if you are, AGU has activities for bloggers. From Maria-José Viñas, AGU’s public affairs coordinator:
1) We have scheduled a free geobloggers’ lunch for Wednesday, from 12:30 to 1:30 PM at the San Francisco Marriott, Pacific H Room. Right now, it’s just a socializing event — no panel discussion has been arranged.
Also, we might have a special guest speaker via videoconference, but we still have to confirm this event.
Please RSVP for this lunch to email@example.com by Tues. Dec 1. Feel free to let other geobloggers know about this event, but make sure they also contact me by the deadline if they want to attend, since I have to keep track of the number of lunches needed.
2) We’ve set up a blog roll for the Fall Meeting (http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/newsmedia/blogroll.php)! If you are going to be blogging at the meeting, please sign up here: http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/newsmedia/blog_submission.php
I’ll make the blogroll publicly available next week, when a few of you have signed up.
3) There will be “Geoblogger” stickers waiting for you at the Press Room (Room 3010, Moscone West Level 3), so that you can attach them to your badges to help you be recognized by fellow bloggers (or to start conversations with other scientists interested in blogging).
4) Unfortunately, this year we won’t be able to offer you access to the Press Room, but we’ll be glad to discuss at the lunch how AGU might accommodate your needs at future meetings.
5) For the first time, AGU will have an official blog for the Fall Meeting! We’ll be using in-house science writers and perhaps some guest contributors, such as AGU officers. I will post the official blog on the blogroll once both are publicly available.
Have fun in San Francisco. I’ll be checking your blogs while avoiding grading my final exams.