Community

Terra Sigillata

Category archives for Community

If you ever have been so bored as to scroll down the blogroll on the sidebar to the left, you’ll see a category of links for “Other Stuff I Care About.” The Southern Law Poverty Center (SPLCenter) is amongst that stuff and the renewal form sitting beside me here at the home office tells me…

Nice to see y’all in NYC!

After a long sit on the tarmac at LaGuardia Airport, I’m home from the ScienceBlogs blogger and reader meet-up. Many thanks to all of you readers who came out on Saturday to meet the bloggers at Social Pub, sponsored jointly by Seed Media Group and NYC Skeptics. The threatened anti-vaccination crowd did not materialize and…

Apologies for being such a homer with the last few posts (and a couple upcoming) but there have been interesting local happenings of broad interest, especially while I was away earlier this week. Turns out that the good Senator Edward Kennedy took a foray to the Town-That-Tobacco-Built to have his glioblastoma excised by Dr Dr…

Oy vey, am I embarrassed for missing this piece of good news. Last month, Erin Zuiker graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law. Folks in the local and international science blogging community may recognize that Erin is the better half of Anton Zuiker, science blogger extraordinaire and co-founder with…

I can’t believe I missed this earlier in the year: Colorado’s Flying Dog Brewery created a beer based upon a basic recipe together with reader suggestions in what was called The Open Source Beer Project: You are holding what we believe is the first Open Source Beer to hit the market in the United States.…

Today is World AIDS Day but I wish to relay the need for a different kind of help. Terra Sigillata has just learned that HIV/AIDS researcher Dr Sonia Napravnik and her daughter Sophia were among those whose apartments were destroyed by fire Wednesday night in Carrboro, NC. Sonia is a research assistant professor in the…

I’m a little late today with The Friday Fermentable. I wanted to be able to report back from a local beer tasting event called Black Friday Beer Fest. In deference to today’s major shopping day in the US (named Black Friday to denote that many businesses come out of the “red” due to the brisk…

I’ve been giving a fair bit of thought to moving my laboratory back to Mac computers. I had a superb, Windows-savvy postdoc in the late 90s who convinced me to go to PC machines because the choice made our grant money go further. But I miss the elegant simplicity of Macs and, as an amateur…

I try to not to be too much of a homer here, especially since moving to ScienceBlogs.com. Instead, I have been running a second blog called Bull City Bully Pulpit for items of local interest that our some of the Terra Sig audience might not care about so much. But with the university academic year…

Sometimes, it’s just best to leave the truth and sentimentality to the most idealistic among us… Here’s a nice Independence Day message from a local boy, one Mr. Greg Randolph, to his grandchildren in 2076.