community

Tetrapod Zoology

Category archives for community

Happy Christmas

Am shutting up shop for Christmas – see you on the other side!

Why I hate Darwin’s beard

My recent brief mention of Thomas Huxley (in connection with the Dinosaurs and Other Extinct Saurians: A Historical Perspective volume) reminded me to look anew at this Tet Zoo ver 1 post from 2006… Here’s a little known fact. Charles Robert Darwin (1809-1882), the most important biologist of all time, did not spend his entire…

A meeting with Dr Joy Reidenberg

You know me, I’m not one to brag. But… One of several interesting things I did over the weekend was attend a special cinema screening (in Clapham, London) of the giant squid special episode of Inside Nature’s Giants. It was great, and the showing was followed by a Q&A session with David Dugan (ING writer/producer),…

The ING giant squid special

Once again I’m going to do the advertising thing for those fantastic Inside Nature’s Giants people. Sorry that notice is so short, but I only received the relevant information today (Wednesday 13th October). Tomorrow sees the premiere screening (here in the UK, on Channel 4) of a 75 minute ING special on the giant squid.…

Encountering Balaeniceps… in art

Do you remember this post, all about a birthday card I received in 2009? (go check, then come straight back here). The picture – which I like very much – is by Elizabeth Diggins of Oakwood Artists, and I’m not the only one who likes it: it was placed runner-up in BBC Wildlife Artist of…

Earlier this year (July) my children’s book on Mesozoic reptiles – Dinosaurs Life Size – appeared in the shops. People seem to like it (yikes, even if some of the ‘life sized’ animals are scaled wrong). July also saw the publication of Dorling Kindersley’s Know It All (Baines 2010): I didn’t write the whole book,…

I hope everyone has been enjoying my write-ups of Inside Nature’s Giants (ING), series 2 (for comments on episode 1 go here, and for thoughts on episode 2 go here). Time to look at ep 3: the big cat one. Given that big cats are more popular (among the general populace) than are either sharks…

Episode 2 of series 2 of Inside Nature’s Giants was devoted to pythons (for an article reviewing ep 1, go here). Specifically, to Burmese pythons Python molurus. And, quite right too. Snakes are among the weirdest and most phenomenally modified of tetrapods: in contrast to we boring tetrapodal tetrapods with our big limb girdles, long…

Earlier this year (in June), Channel 4 television here in the UK broadcast series 2 of Inside Nature’s Giants (ING from hereon… titled Raw Anatomy in the US, you poor, poor people). You may have heard it here first. Hopefully you’re familiar with ING series 1 – it looked at the anatomy of elephants, baleen…

Another book with my name on it has just appeared. Again it’s a kid’s book: Dorling Kindersley’s Know It All (Baines 2010) – a fantastically well illustrated, fact-packed encylopedia of everything science (and the successor to the highly successful 2009 Ask Me Anything). It’s a multi-authored book (authors: Simone Bos, Julie Ferris, Ian Graham, Susan…