I really didn’t mean to get dragged back in to the Morgellons controversy. Really. But I made a flippant comment on a recent post, and here I am. Let me put down some brief thoughts here:
1) There exists a loosely affiliated group of people who are suffering from diverse and (to them) unexplained symptoms, and they have named these “Morgellons”.
2) The public voices of these people are dominated by people who come off as being nuts. This is not the fault of the sufferers.
3) The suffering is real—the is the clearest truth.
4) The science to date does not support any new and unusual illness. All of the findings are easily understood by conventional explanations.
5) Despite the fact that no good science has yet supported the claims of a new, emerging disease—or perhaps because of it—the public voices of this group latch on to bad science that validates their beliefs—regardless of the truth.
6) Conspiracy theories permeate this community, and like many altmed communities, they appear to be unwilling to accept conventional explanations for their suffering.
7) It is very easy to over-generalize about these people.
The only way to find an answer here is go where the science leads. I have a feeling, though, that if the science doesn’t give the Morgellons crowd the answer they want, their not-so-better angels will dominate the discourse.