The increasing number of podcasts I subscribe to has tended to crowd music out a bit from my earbuds in recent months. But I do have some good albums to recommend. Here’s what’s on my smartphone right now.
- Fleet Foxes. Fleet Foxes. 2008. Folky guitars and complex vocal harmonies.
- Heavy Blinkers. Better Weather. 2002. Bacharach-obsessed orchestral pop.
- Jet. Shaka Rock. 2009. It rocks. And shakes.
- MGMT. Congratulations. 2010. Psychedelic New Wave.
- Midlake. The Courage of Others. 2010. More folky guitars and complex vocal harmonies.
Then there’s a long list of recent albums that I need to get but haven’t yet, in some cases because the bands haven’t finished recording them.
- Apples in Stereo. Travellers in Space and Time.
- Big Elf. Cheat the Gallows.
- Brimstone Solar Radiation Band. Smorgasbord.
- Cathedral. The Guessing Game.
- Coral. Butterfly House.
- Dozer. Beyond Colossal.
- Electric Soft Parade. No Need to Be Downhearted.
- Fiery Furnaces. Widow City.
- Howlin’ Rain. Howlin’ Rain and Magnificent Fiend.
- Introduction. Santa Sets Sail for Saturn.
- Mars Volta. Octahedron.
- Nashville Pussy. From Hell to Texas.
- of Montreal. False Priest.
- Starlight Mints. Change Remains.
Dear Reader, given the line-up above, what other bands should I check out?
For more about music from Aard, just check out the music archive tag.