If your loved ones are at a loss this holiday season as to what shiny objects might most set your cardiac muscle aflutter, quick! You're running out of time. But you are not alone! It's tougher to shop for science nerds than might be imagined. After all, a Sagan lover is not a Kevin J. Anderson lover is not an Arthur C. Clarke lover, and you really have to be careful even with generic gifts - you wouldn't want to send a fruit basket to a psychologist, would you?
And of course, as geeky as some of us truly are, nobody really needs a periodic table shower curtain or a cheeky mug. We like science, we don't so much like playing into the stereotype of the cheerfully overzealous mad scientist.
Below are some more refined choices for the science lover, luscious tomes and glittery objets d'art you would be proud to have displayed on your wall or bookshelf or coffee table even if you didn't know your Dilophosaurus from your Diplodocus (you don't? why not?).
- Charley Harper: An Illustrated Life on Amazon.com
- xkcd: volume 0 from the xkcd store
- National Geographic: The Image Collection on NationalGeographic.com
- The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe on Amazon.com
- More "Books to Give Now" on Seedmagazine.com
Items for the eco-conscious
- The Solar Panel Center at SolarHome.org
- The Eco Button at Firebox.com
- The Telescoping Bag Dryer at GrowAndMake.com
- The Quench Kids reusable "Octopus" bottle at OrganicBug.com
Toys for DIY scientists
- Honeywell TE923W Weather Station w/ Remote at SamsClub.com
- 23andMe DNA tests in Ancestry, Health and Complete Editions
- Meade ETX-90AT telescope at Meade.com
- Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 Waterproof Binoculars at Shoptics.com
Odds and (Book)Ends
- Porcelain cactus pots at AviaryDecor.com
- Custom fingerprint wedding bands at Esty.com
- Geode bookends at Spectrum-Scientific.com
- Standing magnifying glasses at Anthropologie.com
And of course, if you can't make up your mind, you can always just give to a favorite charity on your scientist's behalf. Happy holidays!
- Log in to post comments