Personally, I aspire to being a Social Media Smurf.
Check out this amusing yet pointed post by Eric Stoller: You Are Not a Social Media Jedi, Ninja, Sherpa, or Guru.
A little taste:
They are everywhere. On Twitter profiles, blog bios, and Facebook pages across the social media sphere, inflated social media titles are rampant. People claiming to be experts with social media as they bask in the warm glow of 7 Twitter followers. Seriously, they are found in countless numbers on the web. Some people are even promoting themselves as Pinterest experts. That’s almost as funny as the consultants who are sure that Google Plus is going to be “the next big thing.” It’s an epidemic of throwing stars, mountain climbing gear, and lightsabers.
Social Media Sherpa - According to Dictionary.com, a Sherpa is “a member of a people of Tibetan stock living in the Nepalese Himalayas, who often serve as porters on mountain-climbing expeditions.” Do you match those criteria? No…then you are most-definitely not a social media sherpa.
Social Media Jedi - It has to be said: Star Wars is science fiction…and no one has any midi-chlorians. Move along.
Social Media Champion - I wonder if people ever called themselves “fax machine champions?” While there are definitely people who champion social media at your campus, it’s hard to take anyone serious who calls themselves a social media champion.
And the comments and links on the original post are terrific too!
And here’s a few of my past social media mockery Friday Fun posts:
- Friday Fun: Furious Facebook investors pacified by amusing picture of kitten
- Friday Fun: How much of a Klouchebag are you?
- Friday Fun: ‘Youngest’ expedition to South Pole abandoned after 3rd day without Twitter
- Friday Fun: We Don’t Need No Steenkin’ Social Media Gurus
- Friday Fun: The Top 10 Types of Douchebags in Tech and How NOT to be one
- Friday Fun: Twitter To Add “Elitist” Verification for Higher Ed Big Deals
- Friday Fun: Calling bullshit on social media
- Friday Fun: 5 Things Serious Tech People Need To Stop Tweeting
- Friday Fun: 5 Terms Social Media Douchebags Need To Stop Using
- Friday Fun: 5 Signs You’re Talking To A Social Media Douchebag
- Friday Fun: Entire Facebook Staff Laughs As Man Tightens Privacy Settings
- Friday Fun: New Social Networking Site Changing The Way Oh, Christ, Forget It!
Mocking social media seems to have become an unhealthy obsession. Maybe I should stop tweeting and blogging before someone notices the irony?