Highlights (not including Mayon, Nyamuragira and Turrialba):
- Eruptions continue at Piton de la Fournaise on Reunion Island - heck, this would be the volcano news if it wasn't for all these other, more explosive systems getting in the way. Lava fountains, flows and pools were the order of the day in the SW Dolomieu crater until the 12th of January.
- Chaiten in Chile continues to chug along - block-and-ash flows were seen and ash plumes continue to emanate from the three new domes growing in the caldera.
- Strombolian activity and lava flows march on at Kliuchevskoi in Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.
- Pyroclastic flows continued along the N and NW flanks of Soufriere Hills on Montserrat, along with a 150-m lobe of new lava that was spotted at the summit dome.
- Finally, Santa MarÃa's Santiaguito dome in Guatemala produced incandescent avalanches and ~3.2 km / 10,500 foot ash plumes.
Something interesting is happening at Halema'uma'u (Kilauea volcano, Hawai'i) - the lava lake returned triumphantly to the active pit last night, and now it is filling virtually the entire field of the Halema'uma'u Overlook webcam:
This may indicate that the lava lake has risen higher than it has - if I remember correctly - at any time since activity came back to Halema'uma'u in 2008.
In any case, check it out while you can, it's quite impressive.
Following the tiltmeter and gps information it seems that an eruption is building. Did i read the info correctly?
Is the tilt increasing and the gps readings just begining to draw apart?
Just a quick question - per the Discovery Channel program on Vesuvius this past month - can the earthquakes at Yellowstone produce the same type of compression on the magma to produce an eruption? The program stated that they theorize that seismic waves compress the magma and force it to the "top" and out of the volcano. Could this happen at Yellowstone?
Was kliuchevoskoi's last eruption on October 16, 2008? I have a project on Kliuchevoskoi and I have to make a model of it. Details and general information would be very much appreciated. I'll continue to research the matter.
A forfeited psyche may enslave a lover but must e'er undergo acknowledged by a row
Andy Jones just saw someone laugh and vomit. At the same time.
What you said made . Nonetheless, think about this, suppose you added a little more? What i'm saying is, I don't tend to tell you the way to run your site, but what if you added more stuff that can certainly get people's focus? Just as a video clip or maybe a picture or perhaps few to obtain people psyched about what youve got to say.
I am going on my 2nd yr in the professional photography industry & Iâm learning new stuff all the time, like this post -- thanks for this site. Jenn - Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain 1835 1910
It only goes to show where there's will there's a way. Keep on trying. - Don't count the days, make the days count. - Muhammad Ali