As many of you know, because you've not seen me around as much as usual, I've been devoting a considerable amount of my time to volunteering for a political campaign in my district. I'm trying to help Sharon Sund replace Erik Paulsen in the Third Congressional District of Minnesota. Erik is the Republican who took over the seat held by Jim Ramstad, who was a moderate Republican.
I wrote a blog post during the last congressional race addressing the question: Who is Erik Paulsen, anyway? Go read it if you have a chance, but I can summarize it for you: Have you seen the old Mission Impossible TV show, where the guy reaches down to his neck and pulls off a mask and it's somebody else? If Erik Paulsen did that, he'd look like this when the mask came off:
There are three reasons that I'm supporting Sharon, and this has evolved over time so pay attention:
1) She is an Unabashed Liberal Progressive. I feel that we need more people like her in Congress, and I feel that running a "moderate" against a "Bachmann Clone" is a doomed strategy.
2) Although I tend to agree with Sharon on issues across the board, I'm particularly interested in her work in Health Care (that thing we used to have until the SCOTUS gutted it, I kid nervously?) and Green Energy and the related Green Economy. She was trained as a scientist and worked in Green Energy, as well as information technology and has experience in the medical device industry.
3) I've been watching her, as well as other candidates for various positions in various settings (the latter, over many years) speaking to audiences and small groups, and there is something Sharon does not ever do: She does not adjust her story on the issues depending on whom she is speaking with. She won't tell environmentalists that she's for saving the forests, spotted owl collectors that she's against saving the forests, and Union representatives that she wants to turn the forests into jobs at any cost. (She is generally pro environment and pro jobs, I quickly add. Not sure how she stands on the Spotted Owl specifically, but I'm not worried.)
4) Some issues are hard, difficult, tricky, and approaches to them have to be nuanced and correspondingly complex. Sharon is reluctant to simplify her position on these issues into a sound bite, and prefers to discuss the complexities and hear what people have to say about them. (See the part above about having a background in science.)
5) After watching her campaign for a while, I've realized that Sharon has the campaign organization in place to win in November. She is running for the nomination against another DFLer, Brian Barnes (Brian is a really nice guy and is good on the issues too) so there is a campaign going on now for us to observe how she does. And, Sharon Sund is ahead in delegates (we are almost done with the nomination campaign ... the last "convention" is Saturday) and had a great showing last Saturday when nine conventions happened on the same day, even winning in her worthy opponent's home district.
Here is the list of people I've had the pleasure to meet working as a volunteer on this campaign; note that the campaign staff has grown as Sharon's campaign gains momentum, and various experts have flocked to join. Here is the growing list of endorsements Sharon has received. This is a long list considering that endorsements don't really start happening until after the nomination, or even the primaries, in Minnesota (we have a complicated system).
And now, the moment you have been waiting for. Here is the web page you can go to in order to donate to Sharon's campaign.
When Sharon or any other person running for office asks for money, they have to be all nice and stuff. I don't. IF YOU DON'T GIVE SHARON MONEY I WILL BE REALLY MAD AT YOU. I will, of course, be relying on the honor system to see if you've donated or not. But I know when you are telling me the truth and when you are not, so don't even bother resisting. Just click there now and send Sharon 10 bucks. Or 25, if you can.
ORDER BY MIDNIGHT! ... It turns out that if you give some money to Sharon's campaign right now, by the end of the day Friday, there is a person who will match your donation.
That is all, thank you very much.