Those wild and crazy guys over at SCQ have come up with the Order of the Science Scouts of Exemplary Repute and Above Average Physique, an organization of which I am proud to be a member. Maybe the physique bit is a stretch, but what the heck. Members are:
- not opposed to alcohol.
- fond of IPCC reports (especially the pictures).
- mostly in agreement with the "truth."
- into badges.
- grieving for the slow and miserable death of the Hubble Space Telescope.
- possibly possessed of supernatural powers.
- not in the business of total world domination
- committed to the constant and diligent presentation of science stories, be it to editors, producers, directors, educators, relatives and/or friends of various ilk, in an effort to lessen the gap that is this thing we call public scientific literacy.
Speaking of badges, the ones I've "earned" are below the fold. I also suggested a few - they're marked "JL" on the SSOERAAAP site.
The "talking science" badge.
The "I blog about science" badge.
The "inappropriate nocturnal use of lab equipment in the name of alternative science experimentation / communication" badge.
The "destroyer of quackery" badge.
The "sexing up science" badge
The "I can be a prick when it comes to science" badge.
The "I left the respectable sciences to pursue humanistic studies of the sciences" badge.
The "has frozen stuff just to see what happens" badge (LEVEL I, II & III)
The "knows how to harvest horse pituitary glands" badge.
The "I know what a tadpole is" badge.
The "I'm a scientist who is fundamentally opposed to administrative duties" badge.
The "have used a dental drill and I've never been a dentist" badge
Wander over to SCQ and checkout the rest of the badges (I don't qualify for all of them).
Above average physique? No metric is specified, so why not mass? Works for me.
You need a badge that denotes your favorite phylum. It would be tricky to represent pictorially, but you could go old school and have one that says "I â¥ Mammals."