Title: Manager of Web and Publications
Reports to: Director of Operations
Project Exploration Background: Cofounded in 1999 by paleontologist Paul Sereno and educator Gabrielle Lyon, Project Exploration is a nonprofit science education organization that works to make science accessible to the public-- especially minority youth and girls--through personalized experiences with science and scientists. Project Exploration meets its mission through youth development programs, services for schools and teachers, and public programs such as exhibits and online initiatives.
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
The Manager of Web and Publications will serve as lead artistic designer and project manager for all organizational print and web publications. He/she will collaborate with cross-departmental staff to provide quality graphic design services to support the organization's educational, promotional, development, and earned revenue objectives. He/she must demonstrate superior independent judgment in regards to organizational branding and image. He/she will be responsible for the development, design, content, and maintenance of organization's web site.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
* Lead the layout and graphic design for printed and web-based publications.
* Produce creative visual elements utilizing manual and computer-assisted design techniques.
* Work proactively to develop project guidelines and deadlines to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery. Coordinate with staff members to effectively incorporate photographic, editorial and design elements and to meet project deadlines.
* Serve as project manager to oversee workflow of print and production vendor services.
* Coordinate with all department directors to integrate print and electronic media and aligning print and web publications to meet organization's style guidelines.
* Provide oversight and long-term planning of graphic design and publication projects.
* Develop signage for earned revenue traveling exhibits and organization events.
Web and Internet Technologies:
* Develop and execute new content for the existing web strategies, as well as develop new web pages as needed by the organization.
* Utilize project management software and shared calendar to facilitate cross-departmental projects.
* Assist staff with development of e-commerce and other online fundraising campaigns
* Lead content development, design and execution of web site.
* Support staff in developing any web-related exhibit development.
* Provide web site traffic reports as scheduled.
* Bachelor's degree or university diploma in marketing, fine arts, or communications with a minimum of five years experience in web and print development.
* Expertise in problem-solving with the ability to sort through complex issues and conduct comparative analysis of multiple solutions.
* Effective time management skills and ability to utilize work plans to prioritize competing and interdependent tasks and meet deadlines.
* Extensive knowledge of print design and prepress procedures.
* Expertise with graphic design software, particularly with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Flash.
* Team-leadership and management skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Salary: Competitive; excellent benefits and professional growth opportunities
Position begins: Immediately
Send cover letter, resume, references, and salary history to:
Director of Operations
950 East 61st Street
Chicago, IL 60637
No phone calls, please.
For more information about Project Exploration, visit www.projectexploration.org