ScienceOnline 2010 was one of the most amazing meetings I've attended in a long time and it's going to take some time to process it all, but in the mean time, it seems other bloggers (phylogenomics, CogSci, and Ed) have started one of those meme things and so, here goes.
At ScienceOnline 2010, I learned:
- More than I ever wanted to know about the intimate details of duck sex. courtesy of Carl Zimmer!
- Likewise for dolphins. courtesy of Kevin Zelnio!
- Why the instantiation of Baked Alaska will never be as good as the Platonic Ideal. (courtesy of Dr. Freeride)
- What DNA Jesus would sequence (courtesy of phylogenomics)
- The number of times a day that rats have sex. (courtesy of Rebecca Skloot's quiz)
- more than I ever expected to know about an SP3! (courtesy of Ms. Baker's wonderful students)
- Water marbles aren't real (but look cool!) and If you're going to give someone a diamond, don't go by the structure in PubChem.(courtesy of ChemSpider)
- That meeting all you - bloggers, educators, librarians, mathematicians, journalists, scientists - in person would be more wonderful than I could imagine.
Thank you all and extreme kudos to Bora and Aton! I can hardly wait for ScienceOnline 2011!
Hey readers, did anyone learn anything unexpected either at ScienceOnline 2010 or via all the social media?
Glad I got a chance to meet you before they kicked us out of the bar. :)
It was nice meeting you, too! Also hoping not to get a Christmas gift of what PubChem calls diamonds :)
Hi Stephanie and Christina!
It was all good! Hope I see you both either next year or in other venues.
I learned that you and I live within walking distance of each other. Now that we're back, I'll buy you some good Seattle coffee one of these days.
It was fun to meet you finally and folk out with you in the bar!
Does the meme thing require the # of things people learned to keep going down? Seems like after mine the next was 9 things, now 8 --- come on everyone --- didn't someone learn more than 11 things ;-)
John: you betcha! that would be fun.
Kevin: I hope we get to play together more!
Jonathan: I don't know what the rules are, but I'm sure someone's meme goes to 11.