Student Pugwash USA, whose mission is to promote social responsibility in science and technology, is having the first of a series of regional conferences March 31 - April 1 at Purdue University. (Other conferences are planned at Rockeller University, Carnegie Mellon, and UC-Berkeley.) The conference is aimed at (and open to) science students of all disciplines (including policy and philosophy of science). The focus of the Purdue Pugwash Regional Conference is scientific integrity in the pharmaceutical industry, and the keynote speaker is Dr. Arden Bement, Director of the National Science Foundation.
Here's the preliminary schedule:
Topic: "The integrity of objective scientific work is being compromised by political, ideological, religious, or financial motives and is confusing and dividing the American public. How can scientists and engineers strengthen the public's image of science and technology?"
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Arden Bement Director of the National Science Foundation
March 31st: Friday
- 6:00-7:30pm Reception
- 8:00-10:00pm Bowling
April 1st: Saturday
- 9:00-10:15am: Welcome (Dr. Normand Laurendeau, Purdue University Student Pugwash USA Faculty Advisor). Opening Speaker : "What is Integrity's Role in Science?" Dr. Kristin Shrader-Frechette (O'Neill Family Professor, Department of Biological Sciences and Department of Philosophy, University of Notre Dame)
- 10:30-12:00pm: Panel, "The Encounter Between Politics and Technical Fields"; Dr. Andrew Keller (Ohio State University), Additional Panelists TBA
- 12:15-1:15pm Official Lunch with all Pugwash Executives, Dr. Bement and Speakers
- 1:30-2:30pm: Keynote Event, Dr. Arden Bement
- 2:45pm-4:00pm: "Social Responsibility in Science: A Bioscience Perspective"; Dr. Pete Kissinger (Bioanalytical Systems), Dr. David Sanders (Purdue University), Dr. Kennette Benedict (Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists), Dr. Peter Meckl (Purdue Student Pugwash Faculty Advisor)
- 4:15pm-5:15pm: "The Life Sciences, Biosecurity, and Dual-Use Research" Workshop led by Dr. Brian Rappert, University of Exeter
- 5:30pm-6:30pm: Student Pugwash Organizing Workshop
For more information, go to the conference website.
Ooh I see they are coming to CMU! If you could find out the times for the other conferances dates and post them that would be fantastic!
[I'll do my best to stay on top of it!]
I hope they do better than old Pugwash (and not become a circle of the friends of left-wing dictators).