"One cannot have too many good bird books"
--Ralph Hoffmann, Birds of the Pacific States (1927).
The Birdbooker Report is a special weekly report of a wide variety of science, nature and behavior books that currently are, or soon will be available for purchase. This report is written by one of my Seattle birding pals and book collector, Ian "Birdbooker" Paulsen, and is edited by me and published here for your information and enjoyment. Below the fold is this week's issue of The Birdbooker Report which lists ecology, environment, natural history and bird books that are (or will soon be) available for purchase.
- Clarke, Tony. Field Guide to the Birds of the Atlantic Islands. 2006. Christopher Helm. Paperback: 368 pages. Price: about $45.00 U.S. [Amazon: $29.95]. SUMMARY: Ever hear of Tenerife Goldcrest, Madeira Firecrest, or Azores Bullfinch? You'll find them in this field guide that covers the islands of Macaronesia (Azores, Madeira, Canary and Cape Verde Islands) which are found mainly off the northwestern coast of Africa. The 69 color plates in this book are done by Chris Orgill and Tony Disley. Anyone visiting these islands or interested in island biogeography will want this book!
New and Recent Titles:
- Mammals of British Columbia series ( 6 volumes total).
Volume 2: Opossums, Shrews and Moles. David W. Nagorsen. 1996. 169 pages. Price $24.95 U.S. [Amazon: $20.48].
Volume 3: Hoofed Mammals. David Shackleton. 1999. 268 pages. Price: $24.95 U.S. [Amazon: $26.95].
Volume 4: Rodents and Lagomorphs. David W. Nagorsen. 2007. 410 pages. Price: $27.95 U.S.
(Volume 1 covering bats is out-of-print. Volume 5 covering the carnivores was reviewed here. Volume 6 covering marine mammals is forthcoming.)
- Tyson, Neil deGrasse. The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet. 2009. W.W. Norton & Company. Hardbound: 194 pages. Price: $23.95 U.S. [Amazon: $17.24]. SUMMARY: Tyson (host of PBS's NOVAScience NOW mini-series) examines the rise and fall of Pluto as a planet. He also discusses what impact this "downsizing" has had on Plutophiles.
The following three children's books are published by Mountain Press Publishing Company and are paperbacks:
- Lee Ann Landstrom and Karen I. Shragg. Nature's Yucky: Gross Stuff That Helps Nature Work. 2003. Price: $10.00 U.S. [Amazon: $8.50].
- Donna Love. Awesome Ospreys: Fishing Birds of the World. 2006. Price: $12.00 U.S. [Amazon: $10.20].
- Beth A. Peluso. The Charcoal Forest: How Fire Helps Animals and Plants. 2007. Price: $12.00 U.S [Amazon: $10.20].