Jaws meets the grant writer

I'm coming up for air during my grant writing (so far this weekend I've spent in excess of ten hours yesterday and today just writing; all the rest of the time I spent obsessing about what I wrote and what I still needed to write), but you know I'm desperate when I start posting stuff like this:

UF [University of Florida] researchers reviewed 96 cases that had complete medical records from more than 4,000 entries in the International Shark Attack File, a record maintained by UF's Florida Museum of Natural History. Assigning scores to clinical findings such as blood pressure, location and depth of injury, damage to organs and death, the team created a scoring system called the Shark-Induced Trauma Scale, or SIT Scale.

[snip]

"If it's just an extremity and it's an abrasion, it's just a level I injury," [lead researcher and surgeon Dr. Ashley] Lentz said. "If a shark comes up and takes a big bite out of a thigh and takes out the femoral artery, then that's a life-ending bite -- pretty quickly -- and you are talking about a level V injury," Lentz said.

[snip]

Findings showed that 41.7 percent of attacks were level I; 16.7 percent were level II; 18.8 percent were level III; 14.6 percent were level IV; and 8.3 percent were level V.(Florida Today)

Apparently most shark bites are just nibbles. 90% of the Florida encounters resulted in minor lacerations. Since there are about 60 some shark attacks a year, worldwide, the other 10% is still a half dozen people, and each year there are 3 or 4 fatal outcomes.

My attention was drawn to the shark attack story just after reading the most recent draft of my proposal while asking myself, how would a reviewer look at this?

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Categories

More like this

I don't take vitamins or any other dietary supplements. I have another strategy. I eat a balanced diet. It was advice my father gave his patients about diet: everything in moderation. Moreover I don't trust Big Pharma or many of their subsidiaries or the independent Little Pharmas in the dietary…
To date, more than 90% of the bird flu victims have been under the age of 44. But what's the leading cause of death in people between the ages of 1 and 44 in the US? And the fifth leading cause of death (after heart disease, stroke, cancer and chronic respiratory disease) for overall? And largely…
Many years ago we had a terrific carpenter build stairs in our old house using a technique called housed stringer construction. This guy was fairly young but a skilled wood worker. He was also missing several fingers on his right hand. Table saw. I used to have a table saw, too, but its spinning…
Two Associated Press articles over the weekend suggest to me the US poultry industry is getting ready for avian flu, in earnest. One story reports how news of bird flu in US poultry would affect consumer habits. One reports on the practical problem of having to kill hundreds of thousands of birds…

back from posting about "half of mankind could die"
to "about 60 some shark attacks a year"

anon: Please refer me to where we said "half of mankind could die." Or are you just making this up for effect?

Maybe we could all post our 'favorite' reviewer shark attack sentences from our proposal reviews -- or others' that we know of, and assign severity scores: I for toothless nibbles, V for viciously fatal, with a special category of T for tangential.

Revere,

I do grant proposal writing for non-profit agencies, and many of my government grant proposals are in excess of 100 pages (not anywhere near as long or intense as yours though). I got a good chuckle out of your sharing the following, as I often experience the same when in the middle of a proposal:

"I've spent in excess of ten hours yesterday and today just writing; all the rest of the time I spent obsessing about what I wrote and what I still needed to write"

Thanks for sharing.

By Christina (not verified) on 02 Feb 2010 #permalink