I have a few invites to give away for Dropbox (private beta). Leave a comment with your email if you want one (first-come first-served).
I have been using it for a week now to keep my notes, pictures, etc synchronized between two computers. Very fast and unobtrusive. Recommended.
1) will it work on the Lniux desktop?
2) Does it cost anything? Much? (this may well be worth the money, but what will the price be?)
3) Given 2, is it different than rsync?
4) Does Dropbox care that my files are tends of gigabytes, and will it choke every time I download the contents of a 4 gig or 8 gig card from my camera?
5) When they say "it just works" does this mean that they have the "mac" philoslophy of blaming the victim when smomething doesn't "work".....
6) What will it take to get my IT department to put it on the two/three computers I have to encounter and use almost daily?
In short, the desktop interface is good if it means that we don't have to reinvent the wheel to use a web interface, but does this mean software going on the computer in question, or does it use WebDav or ssh? I don't see how it could be totally automated (... 'just works' ....) without having a server on the desktop.
Looks good, though.
greg, seems the linux client would be out anytime now (see http://blog.getdropbox.com/?p=10 ).
it's free. beta is limited to 2 GB of total storage.
it uses port 80 (I think, forgot where I read this), so I guess it'd be no big hassle for IT to install. dunno about other q's. give it a go.
Looks interesting. Pass on the invite and I'll give it a spin.
I would definitely like an invite if you have some to spare :D
would love one!
oops, I see that my email didn't post.
Very interested to nab one of those invites but probably too late! I've been trying out pretty much every online storage solution over the past few months but have yet to find one I really like. Mozy seemed good but for some unknown reason slowed my PC up. Have given up waiting for Gdrive...
Please send me an invite, Thank you!
joebenger (a) gmail (.) com
I would like to get an invite if you still have them.
chirag dot doshi at gmail dot com
Can you give an invite for dropbox...looks interesting
Dear Selva, I've had poor results with FolderShare Beta and would appreciate a chance to try Dropbox. Thanks. Susan
thanks in advance :)